The original sponsoring organizations of the healthcare ministries that have come together as Ascension established a foundation that continues shaping our work today.
- Four provinces of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul (now combined into the St. Louise Province)
- Sisters of St. Joseph of Nazareth (now part of Congregation of St. Joseph)
- Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet
- Congregation of Alexian Brothers
- Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother
In 2010, our sponsors recognized Ascension Health as a ministry of the Catholic Church transcending individual sponsoring organizations and determined a non-congregational sponsorship model would strengthen our ministry.
In 2011 the Vatican approved creation of a non-congregational public juridic person (PJP) to serve as the sole Sponsor of Ascension Health, which transitioned to become the Sponsor of Ascension, the new parent organization created in 2012.
We refer to it as a “Ministerial Public Juridic Person” (MPJP) to distinguish it from those PJPs whose members all belong to a particular society of apostolic life, religious order or congregation. The MPJP – known as Ascension Sponsor – assures Ascension as a ministry will be sustained and strengthened over time, with both religious and lay persons serving as members.