Anthony R. (Tony) Tersigni is the first President and Chief Executive Officer of Ascension, assuming the role in 2012 when Ascension was formed as the parent organization of Ascension Health. He has more than 35 years of experience in leading and managing health systems.
Tony served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Ascension Health from 2004 to 2012. Before that, he was Ascension Health’s Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer from 2001 through 2003. Tony has played integral roles in the health ministry’s growth to become the nation’s largest nonprofit health system and world’s largest Catholic health system with 1,900 sites of care in 24 states and the District of Columbia.
- President and Chief Executive Officer, St. John Health, Detroit
- Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, St. John Health
- Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, EdD
- President, Vatican’s International Confederation of Catholic Health Care Institutions
- Named one of Modern Healthcare’s “100 Most Influential People in Healthcare” (2005 through 2015). Ranked No. 4 in 2015.
- Chair, St. Louis Regional Business Council
- Board Member and Past Chair, Healthcare Leadership Council
- Board Member, National Catholic Bioethics Center, Catholic University of America, and St. Louis Regional Chamber
- Past Chair, Catholic Health Association of the United States
- Honorary doctorates from Saint Louis University, Aquinas Institute of Theology, and the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology in Berkeley, California