Ascension Health formed Ascension in 2012 to further its Mission of serving all persons especially those living in poverty and who are struggling the most, and to deliver compassionate, personalized care and lead healthcare transformation in the United States. Restructured as Ascension, we are positioned to meet the evolving needs of the people and communities we serve in the rapidly changing healthcare environment. Today, we continue an 800-year legacy and promise set forth by our original sponsor organizations to provide faith-based healthcare to those in need. Learn more.
- 1999: Daughters of Charity National Health System and Sisters of St. Joseph Health System form Ascension Health
- 2002: Carondelet Health System joins Ascension Health
- 2004: Ascension Health recognized as largest Catholic healthcare system in the United States
- 2012: Ascension Health and subsidiaries form Ascension
- 2012: Alexian Brothers Health System joins Ascension
- 2013: Health ministries of the former Marian Health System - Ministry Health Care, Wisconsin; St. John Health System, Oklahoma; and Via Christi Health, Kansas - join Ascension
- 2014: Ascension Senior Living, one of the largest nonprofit senior living providers in the U.S., is formed
- 2014: Ascension At Home - a joint venture with Evolution Health, a division of Envision Healthcare – is established to provide non-acute care services including home and hospice care and infusion therapy
- 2015: Crittenton Hospital Medical Center in Michigan joins Ascension
- 2016: The Southeast Wisconsin operations and related corporate services of Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare join Ascension.
- 2018: Presence Health joins Ascension
- Today: Ascension, the largest non-profit health system in the U.S. and the world's largest Catholic health system, operates more than 2,600 sites of care in 21 states and the District of Columbia. Ascension is a leading voice for Catholic healthcare and advocate among Catholic healthcare organizations.